We see technology all around us. The advances in mobile technology have revolutionized every walk of our life and the way we do business. This applies to the world of travel also. Travel Technology makes it possible for travel agents to work from anywhere, and for travelers to make changes to their travel plans when required.
Recently observed travel technology trends in the industry:
1) The growth of mobile devices and the internet has enhanced the blooming of Airbnb – linking people with spare rooms to travelers looking for a more personal experience while travelling. And it was calculated that in 2015, 37 million people did use this service , and that number will only continue to grow in future.
2) Major hotel chains are also bringing travel technology to work for them. Some hotels introduced certain loyalty programs for their members, which help them to use their account and their smartphone to work together by letting them do mobile check ins.
3) Airlines are constantly updating their apps that allow travellers to check in on their phones and create a QR code for their boarding pass, making the entire process completely paperless and more advanced.Passengers can even use their mobile devices to check seating availability for their flights and upgrade while waiting to board.
4) Taxi services like Lyft and Uber, are also completely handled by apps and the internet to match riders with drivers. Paying for taxi service and other services is being driven by mobile payment technology .
Role of Mobile technology in Travel industry
Mobile technology is exploding in popularity. Millennial generation, who want to take advantage of travel opportunities to discover something new and experience more of life is dominantly driven by mobile technology trends. The growth of Mobile Technology in the tourism industry has helped a lot the people, and the development in ecommerce has made a good impact on tourism and travel industry as customers can view and choose various travel options by surfing the internet through their mobile phones. The emergence of new and high tech mobile phones has allowed a user to access internet and book online.
Role of GDS in Travel industry
GDS is a network/platform that enables travel agencies and their clients to access travel data, shop for and compare reservations options, and book travel. Through GDS, travel agents can access scheduling and inventory of hotels, airlines, car rentals, and (some) railway and bus reservations – in real time. GDS links all those services across the three primary travel reservation sectors (airline, hotel, and ground transportation, i.e., car rentals), and activities.
Independent travel agents, online agents, and travel agencies now use increasingly more sophisticated GDS systems to search for the best available travel and accommodations and rates for their clients. Agents will make airline and hotel reservations (in real time) for clients, and they will complete their research and bookings within minutes.
Role of social media in Travel industry
Websites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest have not only revolutionized the way people communicate and interact, but they’ve also profoundly shifted how companies engage with and transact business with their customers. Opting for speed and flexibility, today’s travelers use social media platforms to research, review, recommend, and even purchase vacations or travel services and packages. TMCs, OTAs, and tour operators must leverage social media as a key tool in communicating and marketing to customers on a 24/7 basis.
Social media platforms and applications are where the modern traveler chooses to “live,” and travel. Companies who neglect social media strategies are failing to engage with a massive customer and market pool. Social media users share their travel experiences on these websites – they post photos, videos, links, and other pieces of content that are then shared by other users, and this cycle can repeat and spread like wildfire. Leveraging this potential to distribute special offers, notifications, updates, and other information about products and services can be a core driver in enhancing a travel company’s outreach without investing much in the way of resources and personnel.
Technology is a tool. Select each tool for good reason, not just because it has all the latest bells and whistles. Consider what benefits it will bring to the client. Become knowledgeable about each service and tool that you use. The impact of travel technology cannot be underestimated. It puts power and freedom into the hands of the masses.
We at Vafion help travel start-ups and innovators to create travel products from concept to commissioning in a very short duration of time. We have experience in building a variety of travel technology platforms for many of the world’s leading travel companies.
Please write to email@example.com if you need to know more about us.
A blog from Vafion – A preferred vacation rental technology partner
Follow us on Linkedin
- 5 trends to know before strategizing your mobile based marketing
- Vacation Rental Distribution: How technology can bring more profit?
- 10 reasons why you should invest in Booking Engine
- 6 secrets for a successful marketing strategy with Guest Profiling
- Sharing Economy : How to determine right marketing strategy?
- Managing multiple OTAs with Channel Manager
- How supplier API integrations are done in travel booking platforms?
- Accelerate your API integrations in hospitality industry
- 20 best practices to consider while choosing the channel management technology
- Vacation Rental Owners, Now you can accept payments Online! – Online payments for Vacation Rentals